What is Your Culture? Understand Yourself and Understand Others
About Sara Taylor
Sara Taylor earned a master’s degree in Diversity and Organizational Development from the University of Minnesota. She served as a leadership and diversity specialist at the University of Minnesota for five years and as director of diversity and inclusion for Ramsey County, Minnesota for three years.
Sara is the founder and president of deepSEE Consulting and has worked with companies as large as Coca-Cola, General Mills, 3M Company, AARP, and numerous others. She has a new book, “Filter Shift: How Effective People See the World,” that explores how our unconscious is actually making choices and decisions for us, all without our knowing — and how to change that.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- What is dominant culture (and what isn’t), and how being a part of the dominant culture can sometimes cause you to be blind to other perspectives
- Why everyone else is forced to adjust to the dominant culture, and how multicultural people sometimes struggle to identify with all parts of themselves
- Why cultural engagement offers a sense of belonging, and why cultural disengagement makes it more difficult to navigate difference
- Sara offers examples of people straddling multiple cultures and how they navigate within them, as well as examples of frames vs. filters
- How identification and engagement are the keys to recognizing and navigating your own culture, and why it is important to recognize your advantages
How to Connect with Sara Taylor:
- Website: www.deepseeconsulting.com
- Twitter: @deepseesara